F-type on the track - Jaguar F-Type Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
F-type on the track

I live in Dallas. Took my V8S to Motorsport Ranch, which is a racing road course. The event was sponsored by the Mercedes Club along with the Ferrari club. Gotta say, this beast is incredible to play with in a controlled environment. The only thing I and the car didn't like were the off camber turns but you learn to live with that. Handling was very good, brakes incredible. I kept the stability control on max and it interfered only when I needed it to save me anyway. By far and away, the F was the most popular car there, people taking pix and everything. For those of you who aren't driving the livin' sh*t out of your car, i suggest giving it a go.

If anyone on this forum is in the DFW area, I am working on starting up an F-type drivers group. We can do some back road excursions and track days; I know how to get this done. PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for giving us your feedback on the V8S F-Type on a track, good to see it's just not some pretty 2 door that doesn't see a race track as we know a lot will be

How did you like the OEM tires on the track? do you feel they did a good job or would better tires be needed?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Tires seemed fine to me. First car I've had with Pirelli's. Ran them at spec inflation of 36 psi. It was about 60 degrees out, and I think there was some improvement in traction as they warmed up. It might also have been that I was driving better after a few laps around the track. Although this wasn't a race, we were permitted to pass if the car in front was slow, and I assure you several Ferrari's got to see what my taillights look like. Since most gains on the track come from executing the turns well, I interpret this as testament that the F can hold on rather well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 AM

You need to get yourself a GoPro and start taking some videos

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I had intended to do so but I read so many negative reviews on Amazon that I hesitated. Apparently, battery life is terrible with the Hero 3, and a lot of the units won't even turn on, or if they do they freeze. Possibly better with the 3+.
Thoughts from anyone reading this would be appreciated.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrybarski View Post
Tires seemed fine to me. First car I've had with Pirelli's. Ran them at spec inflation of 36 psi. It was about 60 degrees out, and I think there was some improvement in traction as they warmed up. It might also have been that I was driving better after a few laps around the track. Although this wasn't a race, we were permitted to pass if the car in front was slow, and I assure you several Ferrari's got to see what my taillights look like. Since most gains on the track come from executing the turns well, I interpret this as testament that the F can hold on rather well.
WOW I would it love to see the reaction on the Ferrari drivers as you pass them.
CONGRATS!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrybarski View Post
I had intended to do so but I read so many negative reviews on Amazon that I hesitated. Apparently, battery life is terrible with the Hero 3, and a lot of the units won't even turn on, or if they do they freeze. Possibly better with the 3+.
Thoughts from anyone reading this would be appreciated.
it works. tons of people use it.

alot of the complaints are from previous firmware versions.

yes the battery life sucks. its such a small camera what do you expect? unless you want to strap a huge camera onto the car.

as for units not turning on - warranty.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Ali

GoPro has a thing called the BacPack, you might want to get it, it should be great for a whole day at the track
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the intel. I'm now looking for a mount for the go pro 3+ that would fit to the interior of the windshield. Reviews of the go pro mount are kind of mixed for this application due to lack of adjustability. Arkon and Ram seem to have viable products. If anyone has thoughts on this, please share.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM

I bet you can find something that can strap onto the seat, maybe the headrest? or even something that sits firmly on the dashboard to get you a view close to what you'd get with a windshield mount

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Type Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page